Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: bind() Security Problems

From: casper () holland Sun COM (Casper Dik)
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 1996 11:28:31 +0100

I am not on any of these security lists but I have just been forwarded this
alert about bind().

This is a "feature" of IP Multicast support. I reported this bug in November
1993 on the IP Multicast workers mailing list, and directly to Steeve Deering.

I'm not sure if this is a correct attriobution of the origin of the problem.

The problem exists in some form or other in SunOS 4.1.x for both
TCP and UDP (binding to a more specific address works even if there's
a listener on the wildcard address as long as you specify SO_REUSEADDR
on the second bind)

SunOS 4.1.x has no multicast support nor is there any multicast support
for TCP.

Casper