Bugtraq mailing list archives

vulnerability in vi under AIX 3.2

From: buitrago () cica es (Marina Buitrago Bravo)
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 1996 09:53:49 +0000

Hello all. I have found out that under AIX 3.2 the vi editor interprets
the file ./.exrc, even if you are root and this file is not owned by you.
This vulnerability seems rather obvious to me, do you know if a patch
exists for this?

SunOS 4.1.3 has a similar feature, but the file is interpreted only if
root owns the file ./.exrc.

Thanks in advance,
                        Marina.

--
Marina Buitrago Bravo (buitrago () cica es)
Centro Informatico Cientifico de Andalucia (CICA) - Area de Sistemas