Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: tcp

From: brian () saturn net (Brian Mitchell)
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 1996 14:48:18 -0400

On Tue, 23 Jul 1996, Bj|rge Eikenes wrote:

I've not heard someone who have done this...maybe because it does not
work :)
Anyway I have this question.

What happends if you create a SYN packet which would initiate a tcp
session, the first step in the handshake. Instead of only setting the
SYN flag you also set the ACK flag.
My question is: server still send back the a packet with its
srv_seq0???
Is it possible to create a connection state even with the ACK flag
included??

syn+ack should be identified as a reply to a syn. When it gets it, and no
connection exists, it will send a rst to the person who sent it. This is
why when sequencing, the bad guy sends a flury of syn packets to the host
he is pretending to be, so they will never seen the syn+ack packet.

Brian Mitchell                                          brian () saturn net
"I never give them hell. I just tell the truth and they think it's hell"
- H. Truman