Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: identd hole?

From: H.Karrenbeld () ct utwente nl (Henri Karrenbeld)
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 1996 15:15:38 +0200

Some time ago Bugtraq Archiver declared:

Aleph-1 mentioned that it might be a sendmail overrun bug if the connections
were to HIS ident port but they were not. All the same this bug is also news
to me (I'm fairly new to bugtraq) and I can only assume that this also has
been used in the past(?). MY current sendmail on *all* of my machines is
8.7.5 but I'm willing to bet that there are already hacks to that one as
well.

its possible that its an atoi() (or more properly strtol()) bug..  Most
people run identd as root, this means that if someone happens to overflow
a buffer (which is easily done with atoi()) then you can write on the
stack and execute things as root (there may have been so many connections
becuase his exploit was guessing the proper stack offset..  I am not certain
this is what was done either, its just a guess with the information provided..

Hmm, how can I find out what version of auth/identd/pidentd I am running?
I'd like to be able to peek into the source of the particular version that's
running on several Slackware 3.0 machines (all of the vulnerabilities that
I am aware of are fixed on those, but this one is new for me).

'strings' doesn't give any clue, ... I have the source here for pident-2.5.1
and 2.6.1, but I'm totally clueless to which version Slackware uses.

$) Henri
--
I've got nothing to do,...  'cept hang around and get screwed up on you...
--- Therapy?, "Screamager", SHORTSHARPSHOCK EP (1993)