Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Inherited & RO Filesystems

From: blymn () awadi com au (Brett Lymn)
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 1996 13:25:22 +0930

According to der Mouse:

You don't need that; all you need is to drop the stuff somewhere local
and then NFS-mount localhost:/some/where/writable on /where/you/want.

Hmmmm you mean you are willing to keep the NFS stuff in the kernel on
a firewall machine?  Personally, I trashed that along with every other
option in the kernel - only putting back the ones that made the sucker
work.  If the kernel won't support NFS they won't be able to implement
the trick.  I suppose they could to the same with a local file system
but that would be a bit trickier to do without being noticed ;-)

But of course neither one will stay in place upon reboot, and as an
admin, I'd much prefer a system that needed just a reboot to clean it
of intruder damage than one that had to be reinstalled off backups.

Amen, brother.

With BSD, you have the additional benefit that the mount list is kept
in the kernel, so to hide your mount you have to trojan mount as well
as whatever else - one more thing for the attacker to get wrong....

IMHO the harder you make the cracking activity, the more likely it is
they will make a mistake.  Besides it certainly will weed out the
script jockeys that fancy themselves as crackers....

--
  "Upgrading your memory gives you MORE RAM!" - ad in MacWAREHOUSE catalogue.