Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Inherited & RO Filesystems

From: blymn () awadi com au (Brett Lymn)
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 1996 14:39:46 +0930

According to Aleph One:

       As an aside, an intruder could use an inherited filesystem (if
supported by the OS) to get around not being able to install backdoors
and trojans on RO media. If you are not familiar with this filesystem,
it allows you to mount directories "layered" over one another, with for
example file on the "top" filesystem shadowing file of the same name on
filesystems under it.

Yeah, good point.  I think that Sun called that the Translucent File
System (TFS) in StunOS and it required an option in the kernel config
to make it work.  Similarly, the *BSD have the same thing with a
different name - the union file system (I think).  Again, that needs a
kernel option to run.

--
  "Upgrading your memory gives you MORE RAM!" - ad in MacWAREHOUSE catalogue.