Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: nuke

From: rowan () iconz co nz (Rowan Smith)
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 1996 19:11:14 +1200

On Fri, 21 Jun 1996, *Hobbit* wrote:

Why the people running IRC servers are allowing "their-own-net" spoofed

Well we don't. I had a look at a packet dump one day using etherfind,
I unfortunately don't know enough about IP to explain this properly but
there were two parts to the packet, the ICMP part and the IP part.

The IP part had a fake SRC address that was NOT in our network, the ICMP
part had a SRC address (and Destination Address) that was in our Network.

We have configured the Ciscos to drop any packets with a SRC address that
is within our local network at the gateway, my guess is that the Ciscos
are not looking at the Second set of IP addresses.

Like I said I don't know enough about it, my solution was simple, I droped
all ICMP destined for Auckland.NZ.Undernet.ORG, but its not the solution I
really had wanted.

-Rowan