Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: nuke

From: vadim () tversu ac ru (Vadim Kolontsov)
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 1996 16:44:30 +0400

On Fri, 21 Jun 1996, *Hobbit* wrote:

The right way is to fire a completed packet out a RAW/IP_HDRINCL socket so you
can give it an arbitrary source address, but I never actually had the time
to get this working [as opposed to simply crashing the machine].  Anyone else
have something similar working to offer as an example?

  Some times ago I wrote this version of nuke (called Nuke-II). My
variant of this program can send ICMP_UNREACH-packets with arbitrary source
address (using raw-socket/ip_hdrincl) - I wanted to check if FreeBSD
(which we use) can be fooled that way. Nuke-II was never distributed (yet :)
  But FBSD simpy drops all ICMP_UNREACH-packets, if TCP/IP-connection
already  established, so you can't nuke fbsd mashine. For details, see
kernel sources (/usr/src/sys/netinet/tcp_subr.c, tcp_notify() - for FreeBSD
2.1.0-RELEASE)

Best regards, Vadim.
Vadim Kolontsov                                 Internet: vadim () tversu ac ru
System Administrator / Programmer                Fidonet: 2:5020/118.63
The Regional Center of New Information Technologies / Computer Networks Lab