Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Router programming,source routes and spoofed ICMP attacks.

From: brian () saturn net (Brian Mitchell)
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 1996 14:19:00 -0400

On Sun, 23 Jun 1996, Alan Brown wrote:

On Thu, 20 Jun 1996, Brian Mitchell wrote:

No matter, most operating systems should be immune to such things at this
point in time.

The operative word is "should"

Solaris 2.4 isn't, nor are any of the SunOs 4.x versions, AIX up to the
current level or Linux.

Are you sure aboult sol2? I know there is a icmp patch for sunos
4.1.3_u1, which is vulnerable. I have seen no such sol2 patch, so I
assumed it was protected against such attacks (atleast 2.5/2.4 should be).

I hope AIX's protection isn't as poorly designed as Linuxes though. It
stops the original nuke, but not a easy to write variation of the same
tired theme.

Brian Mitchell                          brian () saturn net
Unix Security / Perl / WWW / CGI        http://www.saturn.net/~brian
"I never give them hell. I just tell the truth and they think it's hell"
- H. Truman