Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Write-only devices (Was read only devices)

From: gary () systemics com (Gary Howland)
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 1996 10:05:25 +0200

DevilBunny wrote:

On Mon, 24 Jun 1996, Gary Howland wrote:

Or even a PC on the local lan with it's TX line cut?
That way no one will know it is there, but all (well, most, if using
UDP) log messages in the form of UDP packets could be logged.

Sending unencrypted logs over a public network, what a great idea. Some
of my logs actually contain passwds for failed logins and ppp connections.

Hence the term _local_ lan (yes, I know it's redundant - perhaps the
expression "private lan" would have been better).

I was trying to suggest an easier to set up and easier to program
alternative to the serial line approach.

besides, with udp and listen only, there is no way *you* know the message
has been received intact and or if it has been able to be writen to disk
in time

The same is true with xmit only serial connections.

Gary
--
pub  1024/C001D00D 1996/01/22  Gary Howland <gary () systemics com>
Key fingerprint =  0C FB 60 61 4D 3B 24 7D  1C 89 1D BE 1F EE 09 06