Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Not so much a bug as a warning of new brute force attack

From: shaunl () march co uk (Shaun Lowry)
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 1996 10:12:13 +0100

"Brett L. Hawn" <blh () nol net> wrote:

You can lead a user to a good password but you can only make them use it for
so long.

Is this not desirable?  The longer they keep that good password, the worse it
gets.  Make them choose another good password!

Not to mention anyone with the time and desire can create a fairly
nifty 'dictfile' like I did a few years back. All it takes is some simple
brain power and a LOT of disk space, a quick file that prints all variations
of 5-8 charater length combinations to a file. I stopped mine at 238megs and
it was still going strong.

When talking in terms of attacking a daemon across a relatively
low-bandwidth network (as we were), a dictionary attack on 238Mb of
passwords is a) going to take a long time and b) hopefully won't go
unnoticed.

Agreed, if you have the encrypted passwords locally and have plenty of
CPU time to spare, knock yourself out.  If someone *really* wants to
crack a publically accessible account on your system they will, but this
implies a finely targetted attack.  Most attackers will ask themselves
the question "Where can I get in easily?" rather than "How do I get in
here?"

Brett

        Shaun.

--
Shaun Lowry           | March Systems Ltd.,           http://www.march.co.uk/
PGP Key available     | 14 Brewery Court, High St.,