Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Not so much a bug as a warning of new brute force attack

From: alan () manawatu planet org nz (Alan Brown)
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 1996 16:21:17 +1200

On Mon, 3 Jun 1996, Brett L. Hawn wrote:

You can lead a user to a good password but you can only make them use it for
so long.

What about a fascist passwd program which refers to a dictionary and
rejects "easy" passwords? Does such an animal exist?

Not to mention anyone with the time and desire can create a fairly
nifty 'dictfile' like I did a few years back. All it takes is some simple
brain power and a LOT of disk space, a quick file that prints all variations
of 5-8 charater length combinations to a file. I stopped mine at 238megs and
it was still going strong.

I think this one comes under the heading of "brute force attack" - just
with alphanumerics (a-z,A-Z,0-9) you're looking at needing 62^8 entries
for a complete set of 8 character passwords. It's probably faster to try
and decrypt the passwd file entry directly.

AB