Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Not so much a bug as a warning of new brute force attack

From: rich () corp netcom net uk (Richard Ashton)
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 1996 16:04:25 +0100

[attack account deleted]

Solution:

Implement random delay times, logging, and disconnection within the pop3
daemom

I am currently adding a random delay of 5-10 seconds after a bad password to
not only slow down, but possibly break the crack mechanism. Along with this
I am adding logging of any attempt that gives a bad password and a
disconnection scheme that will disconnect the process after 3 bad passwords.

What's to stop someone opening a new pop3 connection for each guess, thus
avoiding the wait factor and/or process detection you've put in the code?

popper should use syslog to record the IP address of requests and if you run
it with -d produce some nice debug information (depending on the version of
popper you have of course).

--
..Blue         O            "Smoke me a kipper,
  Skies..    //\/            I'll be back for breakfast."