Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Not so much a bug as a warning of new brute force attack

From: chris () westnet com (Christopher X. Candreva)
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 1996 08:37:37 -0400

On Sat, 1 Jun 1996, Brett L. Hawn wrote:

Given a file full of usernames and the standard 'dict file' one can
currently connect to the pop3 daemon and effiecently try passwords for a
user until the proper one is gotten or one runs out of passwords without any
noticeable effects on the server. I've tested this method myself using

Which pop3 server are you using ?

The U of Washington POP/IMAP package has a timer in it, and disconnects
after 3 failures.

It does not, however, check for a valid log-in shell (that the user's
shell exists in /etc/shells). Since I use an invalid shell to disable
accounts, I made a small patch to enable this feature.

-Chris

Chris Candreva  -- chris () westnet com -- (914) 967-7816
http://www.westnet.com/