Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Attacks using pop

From: alan () manawatu planet org nz (Alan Brown)
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 1996 12:27:40 +1200

On Tue, 4 Jun 1996 simes () tcp co uk wrote:

Thist really depends on the POP3 server you are using. It should really
just read directly from the .pop file and ignore the actual mailbox.
Certainly, this is how the POP3 server we have works. I would say that
any POP3 server that appends the .pop file back onto the mail box itself
when it loses the connection to the POP3 client is broken.

The pop server in question was Qualcomm's 2.1.4 qpopper as well as
an older pop server.

Qualcomm's 2.2 server has a server mode compilation switch which inhibits
this bbehaviour. I installed it overnight and there seem to be no
problems so far. As well as curing the server problem it disconnects
after 1 failed login attempt.

AB