Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Possible bug in solaris2.4 ?

From: barr () math psu edu (Dave Barr)
Date: Fri, 24 May 1996 20:36:58 -0400

In message <199605241717.NAA17412 () tequila randomc com>, Tequila System Admin wr
ites:
I am running Solaris2.4 on a Sparc 10 and I have noticed when using a mailtool
( I'm the root user here ) and reading others' mail, when I have finished, it
changes the ownership of the /var/mail/'user' file to root. Is this a bug or
a 'feature' of Solaris 2.4 ?

mailtool's not designed to read other people's e-mail.  It's designed
to read _your_ email.  You're root, therefore don't be surprised if
it rewrites the file and thus the new file is owned by root.

(I'll be nice and withhold my usual flames for admins who log in and
use root as their main account, especially on systems which other people
use)

--Dave