Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: HP-UX setprivgrp()

From: quatrava () clipper ens fr (Dominique Quatravaux)
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 1996 22:51:54 +0100

Maybe a race condition can be won between the times the setuid bits
are changed by chown().

  Don't bother trying, system calls are atomic... but you can use this
feature to work around filesystem quotas for example. I can't see any
other evil use of this feature : I can't see why giving a file to
somebody else could be harmful. Well, of course it can be done in
the wrong place, so a naive user who chmoded 777 his home directory
could be given a .rhosts...

  OTOH, does this feature allow you to do it the other way round ?
Sort of things like :

  chown myself /etc/passwd
  vi /etc/passwd
  chown root /etc/passwd

  Well _that_ would be interesting enough :-).

-Ed
--
<< Tout n'y est pas parfait, mais on y honore certainement les jardiniers >>
                                Dominique QUATRAVAUX