Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Suspicion about denial of service attacks possible on IP.

From: jlewis () inorganic5 fdt net (Jon Lewis)
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 08:49:10 -0400

On Mon, 21 Oct 1996, Henrik P Johnson wrote:

I was idly reading through Internetworking with TCP/IP yesterday when it hit me
what might be a possible denial of service attack on IP stacks. What would
happen if a host was bombarded with faked fragments of large IP packages. Would
the stack allocate more and more memory trying to reconstruct the packages or
do they operate with a fixed/max size limit on memory allocated for IP
defragmentation?

This happened a few months ago to our IRC server.  I don't remember if it
was linux 1.2.x or 2.0.x at the time.  The result was the system basically
ran out of memory and became unusable for several minutes.  Eventually, it
did fully recover without a reboot.

 Jon Lewis <jlewis () fdt net>  |  Unsolicited commercial e-mail will
 Network Administrator       |  be proof-read for $199/hr.
________Finger jlewis () inorganic5 fdt net for PGP public key_______