Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Suspicion about denial of service attacks possible on IP.

From: bostic () bsdi com (Keith Bostic)
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 10:29:49 -0400

I was idly reading through Internetworking with TCP/IP yesterday when
it hit me what might be a possible denial of service attack on IP stacks.
What would happen if a host was bombarded with faked fragments of large
IP packages. Would the stack allocate more and more memory trying to
reconstruct the packages or do they operate with a fixed/max size limit
on memory allocated for IP defragmentation?

Yes.  ;-}

Part of the recent BSD/OS patches were to fix precisely this
type of attack.

--keith