Bugtraq mailing list archives

The Ping Denial of Service bug on almost all Unixes

From: mevans () inficad com (The Ghost who Admins)
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 09:37:41 -0700

I called Apple Network Server support on this issue becuase ANS machines
run AIX 4.1.4 (apples version of it, but still AIX). AIX 4.1.4 is
susceptable as has been noted here (even on the ANS server). One thing the
Apple guys said to see if happens is if the attack can be performed
outside a router, or via a router. Since I don't have a machine that is
past a router of any kind, I wanted to see if anyone on the list has had a
chance to attack a machine past a router, and whether it works or not.
The theory is that the router will kill the oversized packets.

Thanks for your time :)

Go Devils! Fork the Cardinal!

Mike Evans
<mevans () inficad com>