Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: BoS: Ping exploit program

From: darrenr () cyber com au (Darren Reed)
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 10:50:00 +1000

In some mail I received from Bill Fenner, sie wrote

Since some people don't necessarily have Windows '95 boxes lying around,
I wrote the following exploit program.  It requires a raw socket layer
that doesn't mess with the packet, so BSD 4.3, SunOS and Solaris are out.
It works fine on 4.4BSD systems.  It should work on Linux if you compile
with -DREALLY_RAW.

Feel free to do with this what you want.  Please use this tool only to test
your own machines, and not to crash others'.  Mike, would you put it up on
your web page?

  Bill

Bill, I wrote a program called "ipsend" some time ago that I later split up
into iptest/ipsend/ipresend.  iptest basically does lots of nasty things,
including attempting to send huge packets, etc.  It does it using NIT/BPF
and DLPI - but I've only tested on Solaris/BSD/Linux.

If you want to have a look at it:

ftp://coombs.anu.edu.au/pub/net/misc/ipsend.tar.gz

To give you a brief of the other programs:
* ipresend takes a tcpdump binary dump/snoop binary dump
or other input (such as textual descriptions of IP packets) and sends that
out through the above;
* ipsend is a command line interface for sending a single packet or doing
  "stealth scanning";

Ideally, ipresend could be used with a know set of inputs which create a
set of nasty packets (that aren't covered in iptest) and you could use that
to test the rigidity of your IP stack after making any changes.  iptest is
a quick and fixed implementation of a fixed number of tests.

Darren