Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: your mail

From: vermont () GATE NET (Illuminati Primus)
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 1997 15:42:55 -0500

The problem is, Good Little Sysadmins(tm) would still be compromised due
the fact that cron jobs are usually stored in /var/spool/cron .  Cowzilla
the bovine would still be able to append to root's crontab and get root.
Now if /var/tmp was on a separate partition along with /tmp (why not just
symlink them together?), then the Good Little Sysadmins(tm) would be
saved.  Even better would be a +securehlink mount option (I think there is
a patch for linux).  This would solve many problems related to hard links
to files owned by other users (gzip, pine, quota rips offs, saving buggy
suid root sendmails, etc).

-Vermont
 vermont () gate net