Bugtraq mailing list archives

more sendmail poop

From: hobbit () AVIAN ORG (*Hobbit*)
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 1997 16:48:03 -0500

A fundamental problem here is that sendmail goes to *great* pains to
deliver a message *somewhere*, using a couple of different last-ditch
and potentially hazardous efforts to do so.  A certain school of thought
says that mail should never be dropped on the floor.  Personally I disagree
with this, which is why my old out-of-date fixkit simply disables the whole
dead.letter thing and bails out sans further delivery attempts.

I've send a couple of suggestions off to Eric including the idea of separate
compile-time "build modes" for sendmail, one of which would basically reduce
it to the functionality of SMAP that you'd run on a bastion or something.
I haven't heard anything back one way or the other, and it's been a couple
of months now...

_H*