Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Solaris 2.6 and sockets

From: casper () HOLLAND SUN COM (Casper Dik)
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 1997 10:34:03 +0200

I have noticed strange things happening under Solaris 2.6 (final release)
Any Unix socket created by ANY application has permissions 4777!!!!
ie: srwxrwxrwx 1 root root      0 Oct   3 21:22 mysql.sock
Check out your /tmp directory :)

I believe this affects almost everyone.  I fixed this a while back.

RCS file: /cvs/src/sys/kern/uipc_usrreq.c,v
revision 1.3
date: 1996/06/25 21:26:11;  author: deraadt;  state: Exp;  lines: +2 -2
consider umask for AF_UNIX bind()

Traditionally, unix domain sockets were created mode 777; the mode was
also ignored.  Later BSD releases have been changed to consider the mode;
when connecting (obviously, there's no "connect bit" so I'd assume they went
for read-write access).

When scuh changes were considered for Solaris, it was found that some software
depended on Solaris ignoring the permissions.

I think that the xnet sockets did get changed to honor the permissions.

Casper