Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Security Hole in Axent ESM

From: paul () ARGO DEMON CO UK (Paul Ashton)
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 1998 20:13:34 +0200

sjackson () AXENT COM said:
We at AXENT recognized that this methodology was not as secure as desired.
We have enhanced the communications security between servers and clients to
utilize a Diffie-Helman key for the session,

Could you tell us exactly how you verify that you are talking to an
authentic server or client? Anyone can have exchange a key with DH to
have a secure conversation with someone, but if you cannot verify that
that someone is who you intend it to be, then it is prone to a simple
man in the middle attack. With ESM's ability to update both the client
and the server with either corrected configurations or updated
policies, it is critically important that there exists strong
*authentication* as well as strong *communication*.

combined with encrypting every
packet across the wire using DESX encryption.  This has been available since
ESM 4.5 shipped in March of 1998.

Did ESM 4.5 ship? I thought it was only ever early-released?

Paul