Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Fwd: Any user can panic OpenBSD machine

From: kragen () POBOX COM (Kragen)
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 1998 12:32:17 -0400

On Mon, 27 Jul 1998, Theo de Raadt wrote:
Whoopty doo -- another way to crash another operating system has been
reported.  This is twice now that a 'local' OpenBSD crash has made it
to bugtraq as if it were a typical exploit.  Does this now mean
bugtraq is open ground for reporting any way to crash a multiuser
operating system?  I bet there are plenty of ways to crash any
operating system, if you have a local account.

There are operating systems -- KeyKOS and MVS, for example -- in which
making this impossible is an explicit design goal.  I do not believe
there are any known local-DoS exploits for either of these two OSes.

However, this bug does not by itself provide anyone with a way to gain
elevated priviledges and greater control of the system.  That is what
most of us normally call an 'exploit', or has the lingo changed
recently?

Sometimes, being able to crash a machine reliably is enough control to
cause some serious damage.

But I have not seen many ways to crash Linux
on BUGTRAQ, so I think people expect more of us.

Perhaps this should change.

Black hats distribute these kind of exploits quickly.  Let's make sure a
few white hats know about them too.

Black hats distribute information on how to crash systems?  I thought
they were concentrating on breaking root.

Yes, black hats do distribute information on how to crash systems.

Kragen