Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Fwd: Any user can panic OpenBSD machine

From: deraadt () CVS OPENBSD ORG (Theo de Raadt)
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 1998 12:21:55 -0600

Black hats distribute information on how to crash systems?  I thought
they were concentrating on breaking root.

Then you haven't been paying attention lately.  Let's see here...
ping of death...NT BSOD exploits a-plenty...Exchange Server and IIS
DoS attacks...Appex terminal server DoS....  I could go on for days.

But those are

        REMOTE ATTACKS.

Surely you can tell the difference between a remote attack and a local
attack.

Ob-BUGTRAQ-Posting:

If you are logged into an NT box, you can type CTRL-ALT-DEL and take
the system down.

As much as I agree with you 99.9% of the time, I have to take issue
with this one, Theo.  Perhaps it hit closer to home than some, but it's
still an exploit.

No it isn't.