Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: FD's 0..2 and suid/sgid procs (Was: Crash a redhat 5.1 linux

From: peak () kerberos troja mff cuni cz (Pavel Kankovsky)
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 1998 19:50:02 +0200

On Wed, 29 Jul 1998, Joe Zbiciak wrote:

Alan Cox actually is the first person who highlighted this sort of
vulnerability to me.  Does anyone know if the OpenBSD approach is
sufficient for avoiding these sorts of attacks (eg. feeding an
suid/sgid program bogus stdin/stdout/stderr)?  Also, is a similar patch

Hmm. In theory, yes. But OpenBSD implementation seems to have a
potential small hole. It should abort when it cannot fix everything
but it does not. PERHAPS, a temporary resource starvation could break
it.

in the works for Linux?  (I ask, because I'm a Linux user myself.)

I made such a patch for 2.0.~34. (Applying to 2.1 can't be hard.)
Get http://www.tux.org/hypermail/linux-kernel/1998week28/0391.html.

(Warning: there exists an older version which has a serious--and
rather stupid--bug. Don't use it. Kudos to Mitch Blank for discovering
it.)

You need to have Solar Designer's secure-linux patch installed or do some
manual tweaking to use it.

And, is there any overwhelming reason why you wouldn't make the same
guarantee that fd's 0..2 are open for all processes, rather than just
suid/sgid processes?

It would confuse some programs and probably violate standards.

--Pavel Kankovsky aka Peak  [ Boycott Microsoft--http://www.vcnet.com/bms ]
"You can't be truly paranoid unless you're sure they have already got you."