Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Trivial mSQL/MySQL DoS method?

From: nigelr () NELGIN RSN HP COM (Nigel Reed)
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 1998 14:17:23 -0600

Confirmed with 2.0.1 under HPUX 10.20 and NetBSD 1.3

If I keep repeatedly opening telnet sessions, it will make msqladmin
hang, although once a telnet session times out, then it will carry on
as normal.

I dont have 2.0.3 but I expect it will be similar - thanks for the
heads up on this one.

I'll pass it on to the author (who doesn't appear to be doing much these
days so I doubt there will be a speedy fix)

Regards
Nigel

It seems that if one wants to bring a website that relies heavily on mSQL or
MySQL to it's knees, simply telnet to the port the server listens on (1112
for mSQL or 3333 for MySQL) and then just sit there, forget about it.

Nothing on the server will be able to query any of the databases. The
admin shutdown or reload commands will hang, etc. As long as someone
keeps the null connection open to the SQL server's port, the only way
to resume database operations is to kill the parent process and restart
the daemon.

This seems to work regardless of what's in the acl files or tables.

A site using mod_auth_msql or mod_auth_mysql would be especially
inconvenienced.

-mark

---
Mark Jeftovic                   aka: mark jeff or vic, stunt pope.
markjr () shmOOze net              http://www.shmOOze.net/~markjr
Private World's BOFH            http://www.PrivateWorld.com
irc: L-bOMb                     Keep `em Guessing

--
Nigel Reed            Please do NOT send me MIME email. I will only
                  read TEXT based email. MIME will be unread and deleted

ANTI SPAM FILTER IN USE :: REMOVE SPAM-ME-NOT IF REPLYING TO NEWSGROUP MESSAGE