Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: wtmpx utility for solaris

From: mikael () Katedral SE (Mikael Brandstrom)
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 1998 13:10:11 +0200

On Mon, 30 Mar 1998, Ryan wrote:

There seems to be a problem with the tmpx file for solairs.  Doesn't log
the full IP's of the users loging in, it truncates it somehow.  Therefore,
the 'last' utility is praticly useless when trying to track down someone.

The wtmpx file logs the full data and doesn't truncate anything.  I
could not find a utility that viewed the wtmpx file.  So, I wrote a quick
one.  It has come in very handy.  I have attached the source code that I
wrote.

Just wondering, what is the differens compared with last? (if you
disregard that last only prints some of the information logged?

At least last reads wtmpx
$ truss last
<lot of lines>
open("/var/adm/wtmpx", O_RDONLY)                = 3
<another lot of lines>

It seems like Solaris uses wtmpx for the continous logging. wtmp is used
for the accounting system, and is removed evry night if accounting is
running.

// M
---
This signature ought to be left blank, but is not.