Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: world-readable shadow backups in SuSe 5.2

From: netmask () 303 ORG (Erik)
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 1998 12:15:20 -0600

On a slackware 3.5 machine, with no backups... changing users password..
leaves

-rw-------   1 root     root          560 Nov 11 09:53 shadow-

chmod 600. So I would say its a suse linux problem.

On Tue, 10 Nov 1998, HD Moore wrote:

<( conclusion )>

Is this an isolated incident with SuSe, or is it a problem inherent to
shadow?  I know this isn't the first case I've seen default shadow backups
being world readable (or shadow.tmp's on SunOs).  Could some other package
be responsible for changing permissions on these?

| Erik Parker         |
| netmask () 303 org     |
| IDC NetOps          |

        |  http://www.303.org/           |