Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: [Linux] klogd 1.3-22 buffer overflow

From: lcamtuf () IDS PL (Michal Zalewski)
Date: Sat, 12 Sep 1998 17:46:30 +0200

On Tue, 17 Nov 1998, Martin Schulze wrote:

I'm the co-maintainer of the Linux sysklogd package which contains the
klogd program for which a buffer overrun has been reported last week.

First of all I'd like to complain about two things:

 a) The reports weren't made against the current version of the
    package.  The source for it is well known on sunsite.unc.edu as
    well as various mirrors.

Reported vunerability is present in most of recent Linux distributions,
including RH 5.x and Slackware 3.x, as stated in original post. I reported
vunerability in these distributions.

I dare to say, but this bug was fixed *two* years ago:

Heh, see above. Problem is reproductible at least on RH/Slackware
distributions with latest sysklogd packages. If this problem has been
fixed two years ago - huh, vendors are dumb, or noone even heard about
last two years...

Michal Zalewski [lcamtuf () ids pl] [ENSI / marchew] [dione.ids.pl SYSADM]
[http://linux.lepszy.od.kobiety.pl/~lcamtuf/] <=--=> bash$ :(){ :|:&};:
[voice phone: +48 (0) 22 813 25 86] ? [pager (MetroBip): 0 642 222 813]
Iterowac jest rzecza ludzka, wykonywac rekursywnie - boska [P. Deutsch]