Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Netscape Communicator 4.5 can read local files

From: haddock () UDEL EDU (Terence Christopher Haddock)
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 14:22:12 -0500

        Ben Collin's file contains the text "this is really stupid.". He's
running an UNIX version of Netscape, so I had to modify the script.
Unfortunately, the following does not work under both UNIX and Windows:

sl=window.open("wysiwyg://1/file://");

        It works under UNIX, but not under Windows. A simple check of the
OS would take care of the distinction, however, so that wouldn't slow any
would-be hackers down. Also, if they know their target, then they know
what kind of OS they're dealing with.

Sincerely,
Terence C. Haddock
University of Delaware