Bugtraq mailing list archives

SSHD Exploit

From: jfoutts () APOLLO GTI NET (Justin Foutts)
Date: Sun, 1 Nov 1998 17:05:07 -0500

On a system I administer I found a program named sshdwarez.c in one of my
user's home directories.  Upon further inspection I found that this was
the source code of an x86/Linux remote buffer overflow exploit for sshd
versions 1.2.26 and below.  I have tested this exploit on a number of my
systems and have obtained remote root access on each one.  I will not post
this exploit as it could give crackers a tool to gain unauthorized access
to systems.  I STRONGLY recommend that everyone upgrade their versions of
sshd as soon as possible.

Thanks!
Justin