Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: X11 cookie hijacker

From: alan () LXORGUK UKUU ORG UK (Alan Cox)
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 1998 02:53:29 +0000

Both of these require all X servers (and servers for the other services
you mention later) run with sufficient privileges).  The first opens up
a DoS for servers that don't have sufficient privileges.  XFree86, for
example, ships with three "servers" that are not normally run with
sufficient privileges (lbxproxy, Xnest, Xvfb).

I'd rather have my Xservers setgid X11 than totally insecure. There are
neat Linux solutions with the non fs name space but setgid X11 appears to
be the requirement for safe server side creation.

Is setgid X11 a problem, given the worst gaining it can do is to leave you
back where we are right now ?