Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Quake problem?

From: mas4042 () RITVAX ISC RIT EDU (Mark Santaniello)
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 1998 17:49:06 -0500

At 05:19 PM 11/3/98 -0600, you wrote:
Well, i haven't played quake in a long time, but to my knowledge, quake
doesn't give away the ip addresses  of everybody logged in, so yes its
still a bug, but since the server doesn't give away the address, its a
little difficult to accomplish since you'd have to know the ip address in
avdance..

Someone needs to step in here and clear things up.

Quake and Quake 2 do in fact give away client IP addresses and even client
ports.
Worse than that, you do not even need to be connected to the server to get
this information.

Also, there _IS_ already a program floating around somewhere called "qkick"
which does something similar to what Mike suggested in order to disconnect
anyone from the Quake game they are currently connected to.

To my knowledge, id considers the Quake codebases dead, and is not planning
on any future revisions of their clients or servers.  With this in mind, I
think the fewer people who have qkick, the better.

-Mark Santaniello