Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: IRIX 6.2 passwordless accounts exploit?

From: deraison () WORLDNET FR (Renaud Deraison)
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 20:58:16 +0200

On 29-Sep-98 Charl Botha wrote:
On Mon, 28 Sep 1998, Dan Stromberg wrote:
We've had a lot of script kiddies running an exploit against our campus,
that checks for accounts that are passwordless by default in IRIX 6.2 -
like 4Dgifts, EZsetup, and so on.  I've seen indications this isn't
limited to our campus...

Have a look at www.nessus.org -- Nessus is a network security tool that
definitely scans for these default accounts.

Well, in fact there is a bug in the current version which will
boost your adrenaline for nothing : some accounts are said to
be passwordless, whereas they are not.
I suggest that you use the work-in-progress version instead,
(available at http://www.nessus.org/wip/) which corrects this
problem and adds several new checks (there are now 109 plugins in
Nessus).

                        -- Renaud

--
Renaud Deraison <deraison () worldnet fr>
The Nessus Project -- http://www.nessus.org