Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: tcpd remarks warning

From: wietse () PORCUPINE ORG (Wietse Venema)
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 1999 17:26:36 -0500

Paul M. Cardon:
I see nothing wrong with a program parsing its own config files the way it
wants as long as the behavior is clearly documented.  However, code in
inetcf.c parses inetd.conf with line continuation, something that inetd does
not do in any implementation I have seen.  Fortunately, this does not affect
the functionality of tcpd itself since it doesn't use the code in inetcf.c.
While I believe it is unlikely that a backslash would be placed at the end of
a comment line in inetd.conf, tcpdmatch and tcpdcheck could miss problems in
inetd.conf that the user would expect to see reported.  That's a bug.

The bug is in the eye of the beholder.

After the initial release of tcpdchk/tcpdmatch I was informed that
some inetd implementations support line continuations, and for that
reason I added line continuation support to my inetd.conf parser.

        Wietse