Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: tcpd remarks warning

From: dwhite () RESNET UOREGON EDU (Doug White)
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 1999 13:04:53 -0800

On Fri, 2 Apr 1999, Stefano Torricella wrote:

Some days ago i've had a problem with tcpd 1.10 - patchlevel 7.6. I
suppose that the problem is in the parser routine but i haven't
checked the source. I try to describe the bug :

suppose  you have an hosts.access or hosts.deny file like this
[...]
# hosts.deny
# some remarks
#in.telnetd: 123.234.12.34,  98.76.54.32, \
in.telnetd: 123.234.12.34,  \
                  32.198.76.54
well in this manner i've removed all the address !!! because the \ on the end of
the remark  line is treated how  a continue of the normal line and in effect
the comment continue for the next line and all the above line until the first line
with the first char <> from space or tab !!

As a data point, Tcl handles this situation in the exact same way.  Any
parser that parses and reassembles lines before interpreting them will
exhibit this behavior. I wouldn't call this a 'bug', more of a
'peculiarity.':-) Such behavior does have its uses.

To avoid such situations, I don't use line-continuations in config files.

Doug White
Internet:  dwhite () resnet uoregon edu    | FreeBSD: The Power to Serve