Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: ARP problem in Windows9X/NT

From: mrwizard () PSU EDU (Joseph Gooch)
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 15:41:22 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: Bugtraq List [mailto:BUGTRAQ () NETSPACE ORG]On Behalf Of
Alan DeKok
Sent: Tuesday, April 13, 1999 3:49 PM
To: BUGTRAQ () NETSPACE ORG
Subject: Re: ARP problem in Windows9X/NT

route () RESENTMENT INFONEXUS COM wrote:
    Didn't test your code.  Rolled my from the same libnet
example, and it
    does work against NT and 95/98.

  I tested yours against a number of machines at work.  Summary:

  NT4 sp3 displays one requestor.  While it's on-screen, any
additional ARP packets are ignored.  Clicking 'OK', and then sending
more packets results in another requestor.

  95/98 displays one requestor per packet.

Same behavior here, however NT LOGS all packets to the event log.  I'm not
sure of NT's logging behavior, it could either fill the drive or if it has a
max size it could erase old events.  Possibly cover up other vulnerabilities
that were tested.  Since the MAC address isn't a real one, it's alot harder
to trace.

9x is boring, just a lame message box.

Later,
Joseph Gooch