Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: NT/Exceed D.O.S.

From: pedhrm.mnorris () STATE UT US (Max Norris)
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 09:23:11 -0600

I wasn't able to duplicate a mini-DOS running eXceed 6.0.2.0 on NT 4.0 SP4.

Steps:
On NT machine, opened xterm session
Went to box that I just opened the session with, type in TELNET <my_ip_addr> 6000
The eXceed program hung for about 2 minutes as the host tried to connect to it, but everything else still worked in NT.
After attempting to connect, it will say it is connected for about 2 seconds and then states "Connection closed by
foreign host".
After that the eXceed session resumed and I was able to close out gracefully.

Max Norris
pedhrm.mnorris () state ut us

"LaFournaise, Chris J." <cjlafournaise () ESCOCORP COM> 04/27 2:29 PM >>>
This is regarding Hummingbird's Exceed X emulator v5 (and possibly v6)
running on Windows NT.  I haven't tested Win95/98.

The Exceed X server allows inbound TCP connections on port 6000 from the XDM
host.  If someone uses telnet from the XDM host to connect to a PC running
Exceed on port 6000 and enters any garbage text, the X server will hang and
the Exceed session is frozen for good.

I have notified Hummingbird via their tech support web site but have not
received a response yet.

Chris LaFournaise
cjlafournaise () escocorp com