Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: ipop3d (x2) / pine (x2) / ...

From: gvs () RINET RU (GvS)
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 1999 16:13:21 +0400

On Fri, 9 Apr 1999, Mark Crispin wrote:

 MC> The locks are 666 for a reason.

SHIT! Sorry...

The lock mode MUST be selectable. I can't see almost any reason for
world-writable locks for me and my systems. If somebody wants to, he
can set them 0666 by hand. In any case I would require truly shared
mailboxes, it's enough for me to have the lock mode group-writable
(0660) and permit access for the specified group. And only!

Making lock-file mode 0666 doesn't allow me to detect hostile user
whether he/she appears on my system, but easily allows him/her to
perform at least 2 different DoS attacks agains somebody's Pine. It's
headache.

SY, Seva Gluschenko, just stranger at the Road.
GVS-RIPE: Cronyx Plus / RiNet network administrator.

--- IRC: erra
 * Origin: Erra Netmale (gvs () rinet ru) [http://gvs.rinet.ru/]