Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: ipop3d (x2) / pine (x2) / ...

From: roessler () GUUG DE (Thomas Roessler)
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 22:32:44 +0200

On 1999-04-11 16:13:21 +0400, GvS wrote:

 MC> The locks are 666 for a reason.

The lock mode MUST be selectable. I can't see almost any reason for
world-writable locks for me and my systems. If somebody wants to,
he can set them 0666 by hand. In any case I would require truly
shared mailboxes, it's enough for me to have the lock mode
group-writable (0660) and permit access for the specified group.
And only!

If you really have to use global locks, and can't use well-defined
mechanisms like mail spool dot locking, flock, or fcntl to achieve
what you want to do, just use the mail folder's mode for the lock
file, and open a folder read-only if you can't lock it.

(Not that I find global lock files for a MUA very clever - after
all, there are more mail clients on the net than just Pine.)

tlr
--
http://home.pages.de/~roessler/