Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Simple DOS attack on FW-1

From: Michael.Wojcik () MERANT COM (Michael Wojcik)
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 1999 12:19:37 -0700

As I recall, when SYN floods were first becoming a hot topic on
comp.protocols.tcpip, the general consensus was to implement Random Early
Drop rather than an LRU queue for incomplete connections for precisely this
reason.  RED tends to drop malicious, rather than innocent, packets because
they make up most of the packets in the queue.

At the time, someone also pointed out that RED need not be implemented with
any actual (pseudo-)randomness; just walking the queue with an appropriate
step size and dropping each entry hit until the queue falls below the high
water mark is sufficient.

This was so widely discussed as a solution to SYN floods that I'm a bit
surprised it hasn't popped up in this discussion.  Does FW-1 use RED to
handle SYN floods?  Is there any reason why RED wouldn't work as well for
the state table?

(Someone earlier in this thread suggested that FTP relies on a one-hour
timeout in the state table.  I couldn't find anything to confirm that in RFC
959 or RFC 1123, but I'm not an FTP expert.)

Michael Wojcik             michael.wojcik () merant com
MERANT International Inc.
Department of English, Miami University