Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Simple DOS attack on FW-1

From: jburns () IPIVOT COM (James Burns)
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 1999 18:13:55 -0700

Sure this is the case if you have a rule set that has something like.
Let
in a packet that is bound to some address range.
If I have a rule set that is host based, allowing only a few specific IP
address's in the DoS attack is limited?

Increasing the size of the connections allowed in the table may only
reduce
the possibility of the attack.  Why not increase the number such that it
is
greater than what your bandwidth can handle (advocated by firewall people
here).

r1ccard0

Richard Scott
(I.S.) E-Commerce Team
* Best Buy World Headquarters
7075 Flying Cloud Drive
Eden Prairie, MN 55344 USA

This '|' is not a pipe

Even if you have a few specific IPs, if they can be found, they can be
spoofed since there is no sequence number checking. I guess your security
then depends on how hard the trusted IPs are to guess. (Probably a bad idea)
In regards to increasing the connection table to a number greater the your
bandwidth can handle, well, first I'm not sure that that's a meaningful
statement. The maximum number of connections for a given bandwidth depends
on what's going on in those connections. However, the faked connections are
only 1 packet and I don't think that you could expand the table enough to
hold even 56k bps of faked packets.

-James