Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: SSH 1.x and 2.x Daemon

From: jr () SCMS RGU AC UK (John RIddoch)
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 09:25:36 +0000

Furthermore, if the account is disabled in /etc/passwd and a user logs in
via a public key, they are still allowed access.  (So just diabling a user
account is not enough anymore.  You have to look for uses of public keys as
well.)

You get the same effect if a user has ~/.rhosts file using rsh/rlogin

This may not exist in the 2.x series (I have not tested it there), but it
does occur in the 1.2.x series.  (I have not tested the latest version on
this...)

I would verify the above before panic, but I have seen it occur under one
such install of 1.2.x.  (I will have to look up the version.  The drive was
removed soon after due to hacker d00dz.)

I can verify that using keys and ssh-agent under ssh-2.0.11 (Sparc Solaris
2.6) allows login if the (NIS) account has been disabled.

However, this is no less or greater a problem than the .rhosts file.  There
are tools to detect for .rhosts files in disabled accounts; perhaps the
writers of those scripts might be able to add a check for public keys under
ssh?

--
John Riddoch    Email: jr () scms rgu ac uk     Telephone: (01224)262730
Room C4, School of Computer and Mathematical Science