Bugtraq mailing list archives

Password manager big lie.

From: et () CYBERSPACE ORG (ET LoWNOISE)
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 00:56:48 -0500

[LOWNOISE] Advisory:
et () cyberspace org
by ET.
                        PADLOCK-IT 1.01
                        ===============

DISCLAIMER: Learn, there are dark things behind a nice GUI.

Well, maybe this isnt a topic for bugtraq but many people is
using this kind of programs to protect all kind of passwords.
(Dial-up passwords, UNIX accounts, etc etc etc..............)
This is just a quick note about this product. Im going deeper
later.

PRODUCT:        PADLOCK-IT Version 1.01 1998
                1998 WinWare Inc.
                1998 eEye Digital Security Team <---- Hmmmm!!
                     http://www.eEye.com

PROBLEM:        Poor Implementation of TWOFISH
                (Counterpane Systems) encryption

                Windows 95, 98 and NT. It remembers
                all your passwords in a single, easy
                to use interface. It protects your
                passwords using encryption and fixes
                many loop holes in windows applications
                password management.

Well, im not a guru on cryptoanalisys but theres something
wrong about PadLock-it. I agree that it has a really cool
GUI and its easy to use. But its opening new problems on
password managment.

First, remeber that now all the passwords will be encrypted
on 1 file called Padlock-it.dat so any person can grab this
file and analize it using just a text editor.

Padlock-it.dat (EXAMPLE)
=========================

[General]
Version=1.01
MP=588b1c441a

[Options]
TrayIcon=1
Confirm=0
Startup=1
Quick Tips=1

[Accounts]
prueba=4a0e54f8„…4a0e54f8625f
prueba1=5d2bd3e4e7„…4a169a9f8901
prueba2=4a169a9f„…3db126d6f1fc83a4
enter=588b1c441a„…588b1c441a
noise=5554c02c0b„…5554c02c0b

First problem:
 THEY ARE NOT USING A RANDOM SEED BETWEEN USERID AND HIS PASSWORD

 example:
 prueba = 4a169a9f__ 4a169a9f8900
          root       root98

 If there are some weak passwords:
 U can guess what is the weak password for a especified USER
 Remember that is easy to have some USER IDs just because
 other programs will give u that kind of info.

Second problem:
 THEY ARE NOT USING A RANDOM SEED BETWEEN ACCOUNTS

 example:
 prueba1= 5d2bd3e4e7__ 4a169a9f8901
          admin        root98

 So here is more help to have an idea to find the passwords

Third problem:
  U CAN KNOW THE FIRST LETTER (and sometimes the SECOND too)
  OF ANY USER ID AND THE PASSWORD (THIS INCLUDE THE MASTER
  PASSWORD MP= "Take a look at the Padlock-it.dat (EXAMPLE)")

  Weell there is no random seed (IMPORTANT PART ON ANY CRYPTO-THING)

  So here is it a very little table:

     1st letter      encrypted
        a               5d
        b               5f
        c               5e
        d               59
        e               58
        f               5a
        g               5b
        h               51
        i               50
        j               52
        k               53
        l               57
        m               56
        n               55
        o               54
        p               48
        q               49
        r               4a
        s               4b
        t               4d
        u               4c
        v               4f
        w               4e
        x               46
        y               47
        z               44

Another problem:
        U KNOW HOW MANY CHARACTERS ARE IN THE USER ID AND THE
        PASSWORD AND THE MASTER PASSWORD.

        Count the characters on the encrypted password,
        divide it by 2.

        example:
                prueba=4a0e54f8„…4a0e54f8625f

                       r***      r*****

                prueba1=5d2bd3e4e7„…4a169a9f8901

                        a****       r*****
Another problem:
        THEY SAY (On HELP):
                   I can only enter 5 characters for my master
                   password, why?

                   The evaluation version of PadLock-it™
                   is limited to 40 bit encryption, only US
                   full versions of PadLock-it™ support 128
                   bit encryption, which translates into 16
                   character passwords.

       SO U KNOW THE FIRST LETTER OF THE MP SO A BRUTE FORCE
       ATTACK IS EASY TO DO TO FIND THE NEXT 4 CHARACTERS.

Another problem:
       THEY SAY (On HELP):
                I forgot my master password, can I get it
                back?

                No, PadLock-it uses a state of the art security
                that is unbreakable, no one can get your master
                password. Not even the developers of PadLock-it.

        WHEN U ENTER TO EDIT AN ACCOUNT PADLOCK DECRYPT THE
        USERID AND IT SHOW YOU ON CLEAR TEXT.

        THE MP USES THE SAME TWOFISH ENCRYPTION WITHOUT SEED
        LIKE THE ACCOUNTS:

                [General]
                Version=1.01
                MP=588b1c441a    "guess the password"

                [Accounts]
                enter=588b1c441a„…588b1c441a
                        "enter"    "enter"

        THE MP JUST WORK TO AUTENTICATE YOU, IT HAS NO JOB
        ON LATER ENCRYPTION.

        CONCLUSION:
                IF THEY DECRYPT THE USER ID, THEY CAN BREAK
                THE MP.!!!!!

        NOTE:
                THEY SAY:

                What Encryption algorythm does PadLock-it™ use?

                PadLock-it™ uses the latest release of Twofish
                encryption from Counterpane Systems.
                BRUCE SCHNEIER is the president of Counterpane
                Systems, the author of Applied Cryptography
                (John Wiley & Sons, 1994 & 1996), and the
                developer of Blowfish and Twofish.

                WELL THEY ARE JUST USING THE POPULARITY OF A
                GREAT DUDE... Twofish its c00l... the
                implementation on this proggy just sucks.

Efrain `ET` Torres
LoWNOISE Colombia.
et () cyberspace org
1999