Bugtraq mailing list archives

Improved icmp time/mask querying program

From: danderse () CS UTAH EDU (David G. Andersen)
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 1999 17:20:36 -0700

After releasing the ICMP time and mask querying programs, I looked at
the code again and realized that they possess that special degree of
ugliness which only comes from sitting around at 3am thinking "I need
to slop together something to get this done."

To remedy this, they've just had a complete rewrite, and they're a bit
better.  To improve the accuracy of time comparisons, the program now
performs the pings in parallel (performing host resolution as a
preprocessing step to minimize latency).  This has the added benefit
of speeding things up quite a bit for lots of hosts.  The two programs
have also merged into one, "icmpquery", since they had about 95% of
their code in common.

It's available from:

 http://www.angio.net/security/icmpquery.c

(no readme, the source and usage are fairly self-explanatory).
I haven't tried it on a wide variety of platforms, so if it works
for you, let me know.  It has been tested under FreeBSD and Linux.
The old version was tested under Solaris, and most of that code is
pretty much the same.

   -Dave Andersen

--
work: danderse () cs utah edu                     me:  angio () pobox com
      University of Utah                            http://www.angio.net/