Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Microsoft Security Bulletin (MS99-025)

From: bbl () AVENIR NO (Bjørnar B. Larsen)
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 01:08:44 +0200

(this email has also been sent to ntbugtraq)

Hello people!

Am I missing something here, or are there something wrong with MS99-025faq
(www.microsoft.com/security/bulletins/MS99-025faq.asp) ?
The registry keys we're asked to manually remove are these (may be wrapped):

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\W3SVC\
Parameters\ADCLaunch\RDSServer.DataFactory
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\W3SVC\
Parameters\ADCLaunch\AdvancedDataFactory
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\W3SVC\
Parameters\ADCLaunch\VbBusObj.VbBusObjCls

while the downloadable registry file we're asked to double-click
(www.microsoft.com/security/bulletins/handunsf.exe) contains these
adjustments (may be wrapped):

------------------cut here----------------
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\DataFactory]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\DataFactory\HandlerInfo]
"handlerRequired"=dword:00000000
"DefaultHandler"=""

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\DataFactory\HandlerInfo\
safeHandlerList]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\DataFactory\HandlerInfo\
safeHandlerList\MSDFMAP.Handler]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\DataFactory\HandlerInfo\
safeHandlerList\MSDFMAP_VB.Handler]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\DataFactory\HandlerInfo\
safeHandlerList\MSDFMAP_VC.Handler]

I happily comitted the manual changes, then downloaded the reigistry file
just to be sure I hadn't let anything out. None of the keys in this .reg
file exists on my webserver. I guess they indirectly might do the same
service as the manual changes... but why the difference?

cheers,

:-) bblarsen